Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake! Everyone's favorite cookie turned into a show stopping layer cake made with rum syrup, dark chocolate ganache and brown sugar buttercream.
First of all, there’s a giant cookie layer at the base of the cake. That alone would be enough to make me love this cake. But I think the best part is the brown sugar buttercream. The butterscotch/cookie dough flavor is completely irresistible.
I spent hours playing with recipes, with varying results, until I finally realized that it wasn’t necessary to create a new recipe. Can you guess what the difference between granulated and brown sugar is? A little molasses! Granulated sugar is just sugar that’s had all the molasses removed. Dark brown sugar has a little more molasses than light brown sugar.
So, lightening bolt, to make brown sugar buttercream I just had to add molasses to my regular Italian Meringue Buttercream recipe. This was the perfect solution for me since I made buttercream in large batches for my cake business. I didn’t want to stop and make a separate batch of buttercream for the Chocolate Chip Cookie cakes.
Ingredients:Chocolate Chip Cookie Layer
- 1 cup (5 oz, 150g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (4 oz, 113g) butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (2 oz, 57g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (4 oz, 114g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (6 oz, 170g) mini chocolate chips
Chocolate Chip Cake
- 1 Recipe Vanilla Butter Cake
- 1 1/4 cups (8 oz, 215g) mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon all purpose flour
Brown Sugar Butterceam
- 1 Recipe Italian Meringue Buttercream
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 recipe rum Simple Syrup
- 1 cup ganache at room temperature
- Make the cookie layer
- Line an 8" or 9" cake pan with a parchment round
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cream the butter with both sugars until light and fluffy
- Add the egg and mix until combined
- Get full recipe==>>baking-sense.com