Lately, my favourite midnight snack is crispy rosemary fries with a roasted garlic dip (me) or ketchup (Duncan, who says that his childhood motto was ‘ketchup on everything’). I know, I know, eating too close to your bedtime isn’t really a good idea and perhaps I should not endorse it here… But we all have these moments when we had a healthy and light dinner, say 3 hours before going to bed, and then suddenly we find ourselves on a cliff hanger of Breaking Bad and we really want to find out what happened next but dinner is a distant memory and we’re getting peckish.
That’s when my rosemary fries come to the rescue – there is so little prep involved (ketchup will do) and they are so satisfying. Plus, aren’t potatoes (and fries by extension…?!) one of the most nutritionally complete foods 😉 ?
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp coarse sea salt
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- medium hot chilli flakes (I used Turkish pul biber)
- ketchup, to serve (optional)
ROASTED GARLIC DIP
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (we recommend this brand)
- ¼ tsp dried rosemary, crushed into a fine powder
- 3 large garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt, adjust to taste
- white (or black) pepper, to taste
- If you have new potatoes, scrub them (peel them otherwise) really well and cut into ½ cm / 0.2″ wide matchsticks. Try to make them as even as possible so that they cook evenly.
- Plunge the matchsticks into a bowl of cold water and let them sit in it for about 30 min. Soaking will get rid of excess starch and result in crispier fries. Prepare roasted garlic dip while fries are soaking.
- Get full recipe==>>lazycatkitchen.com