Strawberry Crunch Cake is a layer cake version of one of my favorite ice cream bars!
Hi. My name is Kristan and I live with a family of “soakers.”
Perhaps you’ve heard of their kind. Perpetual leavers of bowls and pans in the sink, a sad pool of water puddling in the bottom. Never ones to do anything halfway, my gang here as upped the ante, soaking even the smallest, shallowest, and irrelevant of dishes and utensils. And ice cream scoop, a small plate, a butter knife — all fair game for a good “soak.”
As sane and reasonable folks, you obviously see the problem here. And I know what you’re thinking — why not just pack your bags and run off to a tropical island somewhere?
Well, friends…don’t think I haven’t considered it. But they are mostly good people and anyways, my pale skin is particularly prone to sunburn. So here we are, with me losing my mind.
I just wish that there was a way to make my family understand that there was a better way. “Soaking” isn’t real. It’s a myth. Fake news. THE SCRUBBY SIDE OF THE SPONGE EXISTS FOR A REASON.
Also? Some things just rinse right off. A juice glass doesn’t need to soak, okay? Thanks so much, you can pop that right in the dishwasher now. Goodbye.
Such trying times deserve cake. A towering four-layer concoction based on my favorite ice cream bar. Do you agree? Of course you do, you’re no dummy.
I was surprised to see that replicating the crunchy ice cream bar coating isn’t terribly difficult — all you need is a few ingredients and a food processor. I made a tangy strawberry frosting to spread between alternating layers of strawberry and vanilla cake (much love to homemade but I went with cake mixes this go around — this cake had enough elements to it without adding all THAT to the equation) and a creamy cream cheese frosting for the outer layer.
- 2 (8 inch round) French vanilla cake layers, baked and cooled
- 2 (8 inch round) strawberry cake layers, baked and cooled
- Strawberry Crunch:
- 12 Golden Oreo cookies
- 12 shortbread cookies (I used Lorna Doone)
- 3 Tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1 cup freeze dried strawberries
- Strawberry frosting:
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen strawberries, thawed and pureed (alternatively, you could use fresh)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Cream cheese frosting:
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Prepare the strawberry crunch: In the bowl of your food processor, pulse Golden Oreos and shortbread cookies until they are in coarse crumbs. Add melted butter and pulse until combined. Addf freeze-dried strawberries and pulse until combined.
- Prepare strawberry frosting: In the bowl of your mixer, beat butter on medium speed until smooth. Add heavy cream and strawberry puree, mixing on medium-low and scraping the sides of the bowl as needed until combined. With the mixer on low, slowly add powdered sugar until combined. Increase mixer speed to high and beat for one minute.
- Get full recipe==>>confessionsofacookbookqueen.com