Made with bulgur, fresh herbs, chopped vegetables and buttery chickpeas, this Middle Eastern-style salad is like a bulked-up tabbouleh. I like to make it over the weekend and keep it in the fridge all week long for healthy lunches.
- 1 cup bulgur or light bulgur
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small English (or hothouse) cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, from 1-2 lemons
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, best quality such as Lucini or Colavita
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Bring a kettle of water to a boil. Place the bulgur in a large bowl with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1-1/4 cups boiling water.
- Cover the bowl tightly with saran wrap and let sit for 25-30 minutes, or until all of the water is absorbed.
- Get full recipe==>>onceuponachef.com