This cake was simple to prepare and very delicious. The bottom is a generous layer of sweetened ricotta cheese giving it a sponge-like texture. You have to love a good sponge-cake to love this recipe. I admit I do.
The cinnamon-sugar topping and the moist cake in the middle are just more bonus features this cake has to offer.
- 1 package cake mix (yellow or lemon)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 11 large eggs, divided
- 3 lbs whole milk ricotta cheese, drained
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract (not imitation)
- Limoncello, Frangelico or Anisette (optional)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" squares, chilled
- You will first need to drain your ricotta cheese by wrapping it in a double layer of cheesecloth. Place it in a colander and weigh it down with 4 or 5 heavy cans from your pantry. Drain over a bowl in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Prepare your cake mix according to instructions on the box. This will most likely include three eggs, 1/3 vegetable oil and 1-1/4 cups water. You can replace a 1/4 cup of the water with a 1/4 cup Limoncello (as I did), Frangelico or Anisette. This is optional. Just use all water if you don't want to add liqueur. Set aside.
- Get full recipe==>>noblepig.com