Summer's right around the corner and that can only mean one thing: air conditioning.
But if we're talking dessert, summer is home to many seasonal favorites like key lime pie, peach cobbler, cherry pie, strawberry shortcake, blueberry crisp, and angel food cake. Topped with homemade whipped cream and served with fresh fruit or embellished with chocolate ganache and sprinkles, angel food cake is truly the epitome of simple summer sweets. It's been awhile since we talked about angel food cake and in the spirit of Memorial Day weekend, I'm showing you how to turn angel food cake into party-perfect cupcakes.
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (60g) cake flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon warm water
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240ml) heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons (15g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Adjust the oven rack to the lower middle position and preheat oven to 325°F (163°C). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Line a second pan with 2-4 liners - this recipe makes about 14-16 cupcakes. Set aside.
- Make the cupcakes: In a food processor or blender (I use this one), pulse the sugar until fine and powdery. Remove 1/2 cup and set aside to use in step 3; keep the rest inside the food processor. Add the cake flour and salt to the food processor. Pulse 5-10 times until sugar/flour/salt mixture is aerated and light.
- Get full recipe==>>sallysbakingaddiction.com