This vegan Thai coconut soup is a light and tasty, totally vegetarian version of Tom Kha Gai – one of Thailand’s most famous soup exports.
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 2 stalks of lemongrass, sliced into 3 cm (1 inch) pieces
- A piece of galangal about 7 cm (3 inches) long, unpeeled and sliced thinly
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, make tears in them and scrunch them in your hand to release the flavour
- A medium-sized onion, cut into 1 cm (1/4 inch) slices
- 200 grams (7 oz) of oyster mushrooms, larger ones chopped
- 3 – 5 spicy chili peppers (like bird’s-eye), adjust to taste
- 200 grams (7 oz) of tofu, drained, pressed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- The juice of 2 – 3 limes
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- A handful of chopped cilantro
- Jasmine rice
- Begin by reducing the vegetable stock. Pour it into a wide saucepan and simmer until you’re left with 1.5 cups. Transfer to a medium-sized pot.
- Smash the lemongrass pieces with the side of your knife or in a mortar and pestle, then add it, the galangal, lime leaves and coconut milk to the pot with the vegetable stock. Heat to a gentle simmer. Add the onion and mushrooms. Simmer for about 5 – 10 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- Get full recipe==>>cilantroandcitronella.com