Easy Vegetarian Lentil Meatballs are Simple, healthy and protein packed! Made with lentils, carrots, and Italian spices, then oven baked. Perfect for filling meatless meals, and they taste great leftover too!
- 3/4 cup dried green, brown, or French lentils (I used green French lentils)
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth, plus additional as needed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats or quick-cooking oats (do not use instant or steel cut)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg
- Prepared whole wheat pasta noodles, zucchini noodles, or sweet potato noodles
- Good-quality red pasta sauce (store bought or homemade) or pesto
- Rinse the lentils: Measure the lentils into a colander or strainer. Pick over and remove any shriveled lentils or small pieces of rock or other debris. Rinse well under cool water. Drain.
- Cook the lentils: Add the rinsed lentils to a medium saucepan with the vegetable broth. Bring to a rapid simmer over medium high, then reduce the heat to a very low simmer. There should be a few small bubbles, and the lentils should be barely moving. Let gently simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Keep an eye on them to ensure they do not dry out—you want the lentils to always be just barely covered with liquid. If the lentils are not yet tender but the liquid has been has been absorbed, add more water and continue to cook. Drain off any excess liquid and set aside.
- Get full recipe==>>wellplated.com