This healthy Chicken Penne Casserole with Corn and Zucchini is oozing with melted cheese and a smooth, creamy sauce! It’s the perfect clean eating dinner to showcase some of summer’s best produce!
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne pasta cooked and drained (can substitute with regular penne pasta)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2/3 cup white whole wheat flour can substitute with all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme minced (or ½ teaspoon dried thyme)
- 9 ounces about 1 ½ cups cooked, diced chicken
- 1 zucchini diced into very small pieces
- Kernels from 2 ears of fresh corn about 1 ½ cups, or you can substitute with frozen corn kernels
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir to cook for about 1 minute. Whisk in broth, milk, salt and thyme and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Allow sauce to cook until it thickens, whisking regularly so that the sauce is smooth (about 5-10 minutes).
- Get full recipe==>>theseasonedmom.com