Cook times and methods will differ slightly depending on the food, but you can use this simple process to prepare most fruits, vegetables, meats, and grains for baby. From Cooking Light First Foods by Carolyn Land Williams, M.Ed., R.D.
1. Prep Wash or peel the produce you'd like to use for your pureed baby food; cut the food into smaller pieces.
2. Cook Steam, boil, or bake the food until it’s very tender.
3. Puree Process or mash the cooked food until it’s smooth or until desired consistency is reached.
4. Strain Spoon the food through a fine strainer or sieve to smooth the lumps and remove unprocessed parts of produce (this step may or may not be required).
5. Portion Spoon the puree into single-serving dishes or storage containers; serve the puree to baby. Store it promptly for later use.