Mediterranean-spiced braised lamb shanks, cooked in a red wine and tomato sauce with vegetables, aromatics, and fresh herbs! Perfect for Easter or your next special dinner.
Ingredients:For Spice Mix
- 2 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sweet Spanish paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 6 American Lamb Shanks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 lb baby potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 cups dry red wine (don’t use expensive wine here)
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 28-oz can peeled tomatoes
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 springs fresh thyme
- 2 springs fresh rosemary
- Lebanese Rice (See recipe) Or plain Orzo pasta prepared according to package
- 3-Ingredient Mediterranean Salad (See recipe) or Fattoush Salad (See recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, add all the spice mix ingredients and mix to combine.
- Pat the lamb shanks dry and season with the spice mix on all sides.
- In a large Dutch oven pot like this one, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown the lamb shanks on all sides (about 8 mins or so). Transfer the lamb shanks to a large tray or bowl for now. Carefully dispose of extra fat in a separate heat-safe bowl, and return the pot to heat.
- Get full recipe==>>themediterraneandish.com