Make these shepherd's pies for your toddler and see how they wolf them down. As well as lamb, they're packed with lentils, carrots, courgette and pepper.
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 stick celery, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- pinch of cumin
- 250g lean lamb mince (10% fat)
- 1 courgette, diced
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 400ml low salt beef stock (we used Kallo for gluten-free pies, see tip below)
- 100g lentils, thoroughly rinsed
- 1.2kg Maris Piper potatoes
- 50g butter
- 75ml milk
- 60g grated cheddar
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, add the onion and cook for around 5 mins until softened. Stir in the garlic, carrots, celery, pepper and cumin. Cook for a further two mins, then add the lamb. Brown the meat, tipping off any excess fat. Add the courgette and tomato purée, then fry for a few mins more. Pour in the stock, add the lentils and bring to a simmer. Cook for 40 mins, stirring from time to time.
- Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Boil the potatoes for 10-15 mins until tender. Drain, then mash with the butter and milk.
- Get full recipe==>>bbcgoodfood.com