Creamy, comforting green bean casserole made completely from scratch! Easy Thanksgiving side dish.
Ingredients:Baked "Fried" Onions
- 1 large onion1
- 1/2 cup (62g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (45g) Panko2
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) milk
Green Bean Casserole
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 pound fresh green beans, rinsed, trimmed and halved
- 2 Tablespoons (30g) unsalted butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced into halves or quarters
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (minced roasted garlic is great here)
- 2 Tablespoons (15g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (180ml) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 and 1/4 cups (300ml) half-and-half3
- Preheat the oven to 475°F (246°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- For the onions: (while the onions bake, you can blanch the green beans-- next step.) Thinly slice the onion. Pour flour in one small bowl, Panko + salt + pepper into a medium bowl, and whisk the egg and milk together in another small bowl. To bread the onion slices, you'll want to use one hand for dry and one hand for wet. It helps things move a little quicker and easier. First, dip a few slices into the flour. Then into the egg mixture. And finally, give them a nice dunk into the Panko and coat them well. Place onto baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the onions. Bake onions until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Flip them twice during this time. Set them aside. Reduce oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Get full recipe==>>sallysbakingaddiction.com