These Doritos Crusted Cheddar Cheese Sticks take the humble cheese stick to another level of flavour. The Doritos make for a crispy zesty crust and the cheddar cheese is oozingly melty in the middle when fried. A great snack for enjoying with your loved ones!
- 1-2 cups Doritos any flavour of your choice - I used Nacho cheese
- 1-2 cups flour
- 2 eggs whisked lightly
- 8 cheddar cheese sticks
- Oil for deep frying
- Marinara/salsa sauce for dipping
- Place the Doritos in a food processor and finely crush until they resemble bread crumbs. The aim is to get the Doritos as finely crushed as possible. So I would suggest after food processing them, to place them in a freezer bag and bash away with a rolling pin or wooden spoon. Good for anger therapy too.
- Cut each cheese stick in half so that you have a total of 16 cheese sticks
- Working in batches, coat the cheese sticks in flour, dip in the egg mixture and then evenly coat with the Doritos crumbs, and repeat. It's important to double coat each cheese stick or else they will not be covered with the Doritos crumbs completely.
- Once all the cheese sticks have been covered completely, place in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a large pot and place the cheese sticks gently. The oil should be medium hot, not too hot or else the cheese sticks will burn.
- Fry until they are golden and crispy on the outside. This takes about a 1-2 minutes. Do not leave the kitchen, the Dorito crumbs burn super fast. We don't want any browning on the Dorito crust because it basically means they're burnt. I did this with a couple and they didn't taste good at all. So remember to take them out in a minute or so.
- Serve with marinara sauce or salsa. Enjoy!