Mashed potatoes are one of those dishes that everybody likes. So doesn't that mean there should be TONS of ways to adapt them into fun and tasty treats?!
- 2 cups cold mashed potatoes
- ¼ cup minced chives or green onions
- 16 cubes quick-melt cheese
- 2 beaten eggs
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Stir the chives and potatoes together. Add salt and pepper, to taste, if your mashed potatoes aren’t already seasoned.
- Scoop out a golf-ball-sized portion of mashed potatoes, and press one cube of cheese into the middle. Close the mashed potatoes around the cheese and roll into a ball. Repeat with the remaining potatoes and cheese.
- Roll one of the mashed potato balls in the flour, then the eggs, and finally in the breadcrumbs until it is completely coated. Repeat with all of the potato balls.
- Place the coated potato balls in the freezer for an hour until firm.
- Pour enough vegetable oil into a medium saucepan to reach a depth of two inches. Heat over medium heat until it reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius).
- Remove the potato balls from the freezer and carefully lower several at a time into the hot oil. Fry the potato balls until golden brown, for about four minutes.
- Serve with gravy for dipping, if desired.
- During frying, you may need to adjust your burner temperature higher to maintain the oil at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees CelsiusC).