Moroccan chickpea stew is an easy, delicious and filling dish that makes an ideal weekday dinner or post-exercise recovery meal. It's vegan and gluten-free.
- 2 tbsp / 30 ml oil (I used olive oil)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 5 cups peeled and diced tomatoes OR 2 x 400 g / 14 oz tins of tomatoes
- 3 tsp baharat spice
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- ¼-½ tsp cayenne pepper or hot chilli powder, adjust to taste
- ¾ tsp salt, adjust to taste
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 medium sweet potato (300 g / 0.65 lb), cubed
- 2 tbsp dried barberries or blackcurrants
- 10 black Kalamata olives, pitted
- a handful of almonds, sliced
- fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- cooked couscous or quinoa, to serve with
- Chop almonds diagonally. Put a small frying pan on a medium heat and dry roast almonds until lightly browned and fragrant. Make sure you move them around the pan frequently as they burn easily.
- Heat up the oil in a large frying pan (ideally with a lid). Add chopped shallots and fry on a low heat until almost translucent, stirring from time to time.
- Get full recipe==>>lazycatkitchen.com